“…Wisdom is better when it's paired with money, Especially if you get both while you're still living…” Eccl 7:11 MSG (italics and emphasis mine)
No matter how close you are to a person, you will have to be "really" close to know how much they earn, in some families a husband does not know how much wife brings home or vice versa. The reason could be that we tend to consciously (or unconsciously) associate our personal worth with how much we earn. So we buy things we don't need and cannot afford that we maintain illusion to people we don't even like that we can afford them; we run into debt and many problems for lack of knowledge of who we are...Jesus warned us saying our life (worth and value) is not in the abundance of what we posses, Luke 12:15 par.
Most of us pretend not to be interested when people talk about money; in believers circles we don't talk 'money matters' as it is not particularly spiritual or humble to do so. But the truth of the matter is money is important and we need knowledge of it (financial literacy) to be good stewards of it. For lack of understanding (financial illiteracy) many well meaning believers and servants of God are frustrated, under-achieving and will not fulfill their calling. Scriptures say wisdom becomes better when it is accompanied by money and a poor man's wisdom is despised (Eccl 9:16 par).
Below are simple insights (my understanding) about money:
1. It is ok to talk about money, Jesus talked about money more than He talked about prayer and faith,
2. Money in many respect is like fire, an excellent servant (tool) but a terrible master when out of control,
3. It is ok to desire more money (you need more servants to serve more people), but God will judge our motives,
4. The love (lust, insatiability, putting it first above all things, worship) of money is the root of all kinds of evil,
5. Money does not change us, it only amplifies who we already are, so don't blame money for who you are,
“I believe in prosperity for I believe in God, for He gives me power to get wealth” © TJ Kyara
Tim J Kyara
Husband of One, Father of many | www.timiresandassociates.com
Teacher of the Word | www.light2mypath.blogspot.com
Minister and Elder | www.christianrevivalcentreministry.org
Educator and Writer | www.centre4excellence.com
PhD Research Student | www.coventry.ac.uk/researchnet